Far, still rooted home!

Meanderings...
Sometime last year,
Past midnight, call from my folks wishing me birthday--
---A strange moment, somehow. Something about the air around me, was different than the air a couple of days before.
Veranda of my suite, the star studded lights of the city, alone, and oceans away from home, a country unfamiliar, I couldn't quite get what life was taking me through.
The city was beautiful, by the way. It was fresh and vibrant, an air of party it did exude. After work, I was doing a bit of the eat-walk-taxi-walk-walk and just soak in the moment. Ofcourse, I couldn't really eat what the locals there did, they could manage with anything but vegetables. That is where I learnt, "vegetarian" to them meant Meat+Vegetables and not only veg! So I had to go about saying, No-meat, No-chicken, strictly only vegetables..- only to end up gettin a burger and a leaf of raw cabbage in it for all that I paid! Huhh!!
I did a bit of shopping, a bit of travelling on the weekends. Nature was at its best indeed.
Living alone there was making me question a lot about life. I was enjoying my time, no doubt, but I still was not quite sure if I did fit right in and comfortable, sandwiched in smothering luxury, a bit too perfect and artificial. Watching the Indians abroad..the desi-turned-videsis, with their dollar dreams, swayed by the falsity around, I wondered if they ever harbored a feeling of not being totally an Indian or a localite there! A confused breed, i thought. And as I could see, the same bug has been biting people in India too.
Anyways, I was happy that I was returning in sometime, hmm, was actually looking forward to.
The wind, was already calling my name. After all, there is nothing like being at home!
5 Responses
  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

  2. Anonymous Says:

    Superb post ya. So you celebrated ur b'day alone? That's a different experience and I know how homesick you are.


  3. Paddu Says:

    So true..

    Nothin beats home and hamara desh for sure.. coming from deep inside the heart of mine

    Saare jahan se accha!!
    Hindustan hamara!!


  4. yup sowmi :( poor me.


  5. @paddu-
    perfectly empathised! thnx! :)